Tuesday, September 11, 2007

615. Julie of the Wolves (Jean Craighead George)

The Alaska tundra during the summer

Synopsis from Amazon:
Miyax, like many adolescents, is torn. But unlike most, her choices may determine whether she lives or dies. At 13, an orphan, and unhappily married, Miyax runs away from her husband's parents' home, hoping to reach San Francisco and her pen pal. But she becomes lost in the vast Alaskan tundra, with no food, no shelter, and no idea which is the way to safety. Now, more than ever, she must look hard at who she really is. Is she Miyax, Eskimo girl of the old ways? Or is she Julie (her "gussak"-white people-name), the modernized teenager who must mock the traditional customs? And when a pack of wolves begins to accept her into their community, Miyax must learn to think like a wolf as well. If she trusts her Eskimo instincts, will she stand a chance of surviving?

My rating: 1 star

My review: To this day, almost twenty years later, I remember reading this book in school and hating it.

4 comments:

_BrEkAs_ said...

Me too!!! I absolutely hate that book... The story is so boring... It's awful...

sally said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one! I don't know why this book is considered a classic.

_BrEkAs_ said...

I think I've never finished the damn book. At least I didn't to read it for school... Although we have some books to read that are quite awful... :P

Have you ever read portuguese writers?

sally said...

Great comment! :)

I haven't read any Portugese writers but am interested. Which ones would you recommend?