Sunday, September 9, 2007

609. The Egyptologist (Arthur Phillips)


Synopsis from Amazon UK:
The Egyptologist is a witty, inventive, brilliantly constructed novel about an archaeologist obsessed with finding the tomb of an apocryphal king. This darkly comic labyrinth of a story opens on the desert plains of Egypt in 1922, then winds its way from the slums of Australia to the ballrooms of Boston by way of Oxford, the battlefields of the First World War, and a royal court in turmoil.

My rating: 3 stars

My review: An okay book with a good ending that makes the time spent worthwhile.

2 comments:

pussreboots said...

I agree about the ending being worth the effort. But I ended up rating the book higher than you because I enjoyed the ending so much.

sally said...

Just read your review. I agree that the book is pretty dense reading. In fact, in my first reading, I ended up skimming through some parts in the middle. But after I finished it the first time and was pleasantly surprised, I read it again looking for clues to the ending. Still got bored in the middle though ....