Sunday, December 16, 2007

810. The Golden Compass (Philip Pullman)

Synopsis from Amazon Canada:
The story begins at Jordan College in Oxford, where young Lyra Belacqua and her daemon, Pantalaimon, are being reared and educated by the Scholars. Although a lackluster student, Lyra possesses an inordinate curiosity and sense of adventure, which lead her into forbidden territory on the night her uncle, Lord Asriel, visits. He's there to solicit funds for a return journey to the distant arctic wastes, where he has observed and photographed strange goings-on, including a mysterious phenomenon called Dust that streams from the sky and a dim outline of a city suspended in the Aurora, or Northern Lights, that he suspects is part of an alternate universe. After he leaves, Lyra finds herself placed in the charge of the mysterious Mrs. Coulter and in possession of a rare compasslike device that can answer questions if she learns how to read it. Already shocked by the disappearance of her best friend, Lyra discovers Mrs. Coulter's connection with the dreaded children-stealing Gobblers and runs away, joining a group of gyptians bound for the North to rescue missing children. Lyra has also learned that her uncle is being held prisoner in the North, guarded by formidable armored bears.

My rating: 4 stars

9 comments:

_BrEkAs_ said...

Which was the worst book you've ever read?

sally said...

Worst written or worst plot?

_BrEkAs_ said...

I don't know... Both. I think the worst written I've read was "The relic" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (do I guess I've read worst but I can't remember), because the plot wasn't bad, but it was written like a bubble gum... A big book that could have been much shortest.
Worst plot... A portuguese book named "A quinta das cerejeiras" (The cherry tree farm) I've read on 5th grade. I still think that was the worst book ever written... (I'm exagerating, but it's almost it :P )

What about you?

sally said...

I don't think the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child partnership is a good one -- I read "Brimstone" which was written by the two of them and didn't like it. However, "The Codex" which is written by just Douglas Preston is pretty enjoyable.

Worst written -- "Demon Rumm" by Sandra Brown, "Liars & Thieves" by Stephen Coonts, and "The Coil" by Gayle Lynds

Worst plot -- "Demon Rumm" by Sandra Brown (this may be the worst book I ever read since it's showing up in both categories) and "Map of Bones" by James Rollins

Two books which I haven't gotten to posting yet but are TERRIBLE: "The Bridges of Madison County" and a book by Danielle Steele whose name I can't remember. Both have laughably bad writing and ridiculous plots.

_BrEkAs_ said...

Never read any of those books... But I've read pretty bad ones too...

Anyway, now I've told "The murder room" by PD JAmes is a good book... I'm thinking of reading it once I finish one from Michael Cox I've been reading for a while.

Is it worth reading? (you ranked it 4* so it must be good, right?)

sally said...

Which book by Michael Cox are you reading?

If you like a good British mystery (ie. not much "CSI" crap), I think "The Murder Room" is pretty good. When considered purely on its mystery element, I enjoyed the book. If you prefer the mysteries to be more fiction than mystery (ie. lots of characterization, some philosophical musings, etc), I don't think you'll be 100% satisfied by "The Murder Room." If you don't have time, though, to read the book, watch the TV adaptation which is quite well-done.

_BrEkAs_ said...

I'm reading "The meaning of night - a confession"... I loved the victorian themed books by Anne Perry, mainly "The cater street hangman", so I decided to read more... But "The meaning of night" is very different from Anne Perry's books. Anyway, I'm reading very slowly... Because I'm also reading books for school, but I'm liking so far.

_BrEkAs_ said...

Not very well done, my writing. Hope you understand

sally said...

No problem with the English. ;) It's perfectly fine.

I've read some books by Anne Perry as well and those were pretty good.

The Michael Cox book that you're reading sounds really interesting -- it's going on my "to read" list. BTW, if you enjoy this book, you should check out books by Wilkie Collins and Sheridan Le Fanu.